Thursday, 17 September 2015

What can I do with a 10" square or two? Patched bath mat.

It is getting cooler and the nights are drawing in - I'm not complaining I promise, this is my time of year and thoughts are switching from barbecues and new ways to serve tropical fruit to battening down the hatches ready for winter. Okay that bit about the tropical fruit is stretching it a wee bit here in England but I think that you know what I mean!


Now that there is an R in the month, we can have hot chocolate too which is always a good thing. And spend time in the bath especially after cold and windy walks. Hey, let's have both! Next week I will show you how to make hot white chocolate.......



Sally is not fond of getting wet - yes please don't write in, I know that she is a Cocker Spaniel. Actually, maybe it would be helpful if someone told her! She needs a bath. Which leads us neatly to....

My bathmat is boring. I know that that is about the worst middle class complaint ever but there you are. I am not sure that bath mats are supposed to inspire anything but I want mine to have a bit more interest in life so it is getting a makeover!

Because I am in the middle of my 10" square challenge, I am trotting out the Autumn prints again and this time my 10" squares are going to make this....


Like wow huh! All quilters are after new ideas of what to make and we don't have enough mats in our life!

We need a few more squares this time for variety and I have ten. You can use less or more, it is up to you, but I have these lovely Makower Autumn prints so they are all going in.


You also need something for the backing fabric. You can use towelling or even recycle a bath towel. This will make it all nice and thirsty when you stand on it. You can of course also use 'normal' batting and backing fabric. I have chosen the latter because I want a thinner mat. My favourite wadding product is Vilene 272 Thermolam. It is a synthetic product but I use it everywhere and it always does what I want it to. This time, it has become a bathmat for me. Bliss!

Apart from that, you only need the usual sewing and quilting things.

This mat is based on a simple sort of half log cabin arrangement and you can just keep repeating it until the mat is the size that you want. Let's call this one Cabin in the Corner shall we, just so we have a name for it.

Begin each block with a 11.5cm x 11.5cm square (4 1/2" in the old money). And then cut some strips 6cm (2 1/2" wide). Don't worry about the length - as long as they are long enough, you can trim them off.

So you have a square and you add a strip to it like this...


Trim it, iron it and choose another strip and add it to the adjacent side...


Come back to the first bit and add another strip, trim it and iron it and then another one on the other side


As you can see, there is a log cabin thang going on here but not in the usual sense. Normally, you would enclose the starting square but this time, it just stays on the bottom. Cabin in the Corner.

The block is finished when you say it is - when there are enough strips to bring it back to a square overall is ideal. Mine has 4 strips. The reason that I stopped here is because the block is big enough for what I want and also, I have reached the end of the 10" strip length and I don't want to join.

Now make a few more of these and then sew them together into rows. You are aiming for something like this


Now do the second row and then join the two rows together...


I have opted for 3 blocks x 2 blocks to my mat which suits the space that I have in my bathroom. You can make it as big as you want but of course, you will need more fabric (having said that, a couple more 10" blocks will go a long way).

Now make your quilt sandwich with the backing fabric and wadding (or a towel if you are using it) and decide on your pattern. Mine is simple 1 1/2" squares on the diagonal....


Don't forget to draw the quilting design on first with a water soluble marker - this is not the time to eyeball it!
Trim the edges so that backing, wadding and top are the same size and then bind....


Lookin' good!

Remove any loose threads or water soluble marker lines from the quilt prep and that's it! Oh, I have added a leather look label too and you can find the post for that here. The fox stamp was just perfect!


Now you will notice that you have yet another pile of scraps - I don't think that it is possible to use them all! Hang onto them for now, I have another idea coming on and they will be just peachy!
Here is the mat again...


That was a fun make! I know that you will want to get your hands on some of these fabulous fabrics so here is a link to the site where you can find a retailer in your area.

You can find Vilene 272 Thermolam at www.vlieseline.com or call this number in the UK: 01453 883581 or crafts@stockistenquiries.co.uk.  

Thank you so much for dropping by. I hope that you have enjoyed this little tute. Come back again real soon!

Love and hugs
Debbie xxx